Thursday, March 31, 2011

Judging VGC Idol a privilege

I had a fabulous afternoon. There's nothing like a break in your routine to leave you feeling refreshed and ready to dive back into things. And today's break was an extra special one.
I was privileged to be asked to judge the VGC Idol competition today at Lake County Board of Developmental Disabilities in Mentor.
Superintendent Elfie Roman was kind enough to invite me, and believe me, the pleasure was all mine.
Actually I shared that pleasure with fellow judges Marlene Castilyn, president of the Western Reserve Junior Service League, Dave Noble, retired executive director of Lake Metroparks, and Brint Learned, executive director of Rabbit Run Theater.
And judging was no easy task. You think JLo, Steven Tyler and Randy Jackson have it tough ...
Marlene, me, Dave and Brint attempt to join the performance of "YMCA"
How could I not love the performance of "I Got You Babe" delivered by Jean Gillispie and Todd Reider? I don't think I've enjoyed that song as much since I had my first dance with my husband at our wedding. But I'm a Barry Manilow fan, so the versions of "Can't Smile Without You" by Susan Murphy and "Copacabana" by Susan Taylor were special favorites. No one could help but get their grooves on to Richard Dawson's "Jump," Jonathon Wright's "Can't Touch This" or Canesia King's "Forget You." Anna Rodgers showered us with petals during "Rose Garden," and Christopher Dabson had us all swaying to "Just the Way You Are." Julie Underwood's rendition of "You Give Love a Bad Name" came complete with all the right guitar moves, and Nicole Memory worked the stage like a pro for "If I Could Turn Back Time." And I'm planning on trying out some of the jokes delivered by comedian Shelley Braden on my co-workers; though  I doubt my delivery will be as good.
All too soon the performances were over and the scores tallied.
The contestants were mobbed with congratulations from family members, friends and folks from the VGC.
My hands stung from clapping so hard.
Every break from work should leave me so full of smiles.


Check out the fab photos, video and news story from Duncan Scott and Angela Gartner.


And, as if that wasn't enough, I was given this gorgeous work of art created by Roberta Ray to remember the day. Ray, who works with colored pencils and markers, was the first-prize winner of the Lake County Board of MR/DD Art Contest in 2008 and had a piece selected to be part of the Accessible Expressions Ohio 2009  visual arts exhibition.

- Tricia Ambrose





Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home